Please learn more about colleagues in our "Personal Touch" series setting employees in the spotlight. A light-hearted manner to learn about the colleagues you know and those you don't!.
This week: Andreea-Manuela Mirea
2. When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up? Can you tell us something about your childhood years?
When I was 4 years old I was telling everyone that I will be a medical doctor even though I was really scared if I saw blood. When I went to primary school I changed my mind and decided to became an archeologist or to teach hystory. But of course before high school I changed my mind again and decided to do something related to math. In the end, in the last year of high school I chosed again the medical school and I became a doctor. I guess it was always somewhere in my subconcious.
3. What was your previous academic training, where did you study and why did you choose that study/those studies?
I went to the Faculty of Medicine from the University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Iuliu Hatieganu” Cluj-Napoca, Romania. I was really interested in the field of genetics so I decided I wanted to be a medical geneticist and I became one.
4. The RIMLS motto is ‘to understand molecular mechanisms of disease’. What does this mean for you?
Our existence is a succession of billions of molecular interactions. The better we understand these interactions the better we will understand us.
5. Which international scientist inspires/inspired you the most? Please give a motivation why.
I have a lot of examples starting with my supervisors and my colleagues. They are all an example of perseverance, hard work and success to me.
6. Which research discovery that you have made has made you most proud?
I am still waiting for a big discovery.
7. Given unlimited finance what experiment would you perform?
I would like to perform a lot of experiments! I would like to develop more MIPs to study genetic variances in patients with fatty liver disease, I would like to develop some knock out mouse models and some knew techniques to culture certain types of cells. And that would be only the beginning!
8. What does your working area (desk, office) look like and what does it say about you (or your research)?
I think it is pretty organized, so are my experiments.
9. Nominate a colleague to be in the spotlight and what would you like to ask him or her?
I nominate Kathrin Thiem. Kathrin por que voce ama cavalos tanto?
10. What type of person are you, quick insights:
a) Mac or PC?:
b) Theater or cinema?:
c) Dine out or dine in?:
d) Ferrari or Fiat?:
e) Shopaholic or chocoholic?:
f) Culture or Nature:
<< back to overview news items